Tales from the Kitchen

Kitchen table discussions with recipes and ideas for shopping on a budget, cooking for a family, meal planning.

My Photo
Name:

Happily married mother of eight, Arab-American knitwear designer who also dabbles in other crafts and loves to cook.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Lenten Cookery

Tonight I will be making my Accidental Souffle, which is a spinach, egg and cheese dish I made up one night when I needed to come up with something for dinner. That and a salad will be dinner tonight.

On Friday we ate a lovely frittata with potatoes, onions, peppers and asparagus. Also with a salad. Earlier last week, we had Melanzane al Forno, with broccoli raab steamed and sauteed with lots of garlic, and some pasta.

It has been challenging to come up with Lenten meals, and we've come up with some tasty and satisfying meals. Even though we haven't given up meat entirely, only on Wednesdays and Fridays, we are trying to use it less. My goal is that next year we will go meatless for the entirety of Lent. It is a physical discipline preparing us for spriritual discipline. Our priest quoted a saint this Sunday who said that if you can control what you eat, you can control your passions. We think this is really true, as all are matters of appetite. We are still trying to be guided by the idea of leaving the table before we are satisfied.

We did take a feast day last Monday, as Rich's parents were in town and watched the kids while we went out. We had a choice of dinner at a seafood restaurant to which we've been wanting to return and a diner type place with great burgers. Rich had been craving a burger for so long that we went with that place, and did eat a meat centered meal along with (!) french fries.

I am looking for some simple dishes for Saturday's dinner, they can include meat, but not as a main feature. Any ideas?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

Thank you!

I know it seems like an odd request, but I have an extremely carnivorous husband. I have promised that I will not make a meal that doesn't include at least dairy, eggs, or beans, basically a decent amount a protein. If he decides to go otherwise, we'll change, but he really prefers a good protein base, and it takes enough of a heaviness, mouthfeel and flavor to make him feel full. So, I experiment. It is made more complicated by the fact that he isn't as big a fan of soup as I am.

Thursday, March 30, 2006 10:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home