Tales from the Kitchen

Kitchen table discussions with recipes and ideas for shopping on a budget, cooking for a family, meal planning.

My Photo
Name:

Happily married mother of eight, Arab-American knitwear designer who also dabbles in other crafts and loves to cook.

Monday, June 06, 2005

Recipe Contests

I don't believe I ever posted about entering recipe contests. Sunset had a Thanksgiving contest and there was the Pillsbury Bake-Off. I entered four recipes into the Sunset contest and one in the bake-off. It was rather difficult to come up with real recipes for Pillsbury, as they required you to use at least two of their products, and most of the approved products were instant this, canned that, and whatnot. I settled on a variation on my lemon cranberry scones, using Yoplait Yogurt as the liquid. We had fun testing the recipe and seeing what would work and what wouldn't.

As for the Sunset contest, it was much easier. There were several categories, and since I've been doing the Thanksgiving meal for our family for the past eight years, I just had to copy and paste the recipes into the form.

I don't find out until the end of the summer whether or not I am a finalist, so I am prayerfully waiting. The money would help our family and church out quite a bit, and the new kitchen appliances and flooring would be a blessing to us. The Sunset contest also had a year's worth of groceries as part of the winnings. That would save us at least $6000 a year of our own money.

I'll let you know when I find out if I am still in the running by the end of the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home