Tales from the Kitchen

Kitchen table discussions with recipes and ideas for shopping on a budget, cooking for a family, meal planning.

My Photo
Name:

Happily married mother of eight, Arab-American knitwear designer who also dabbles in other crafts and loves to cook.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Back for a Second

Some of you may have wondered where I have gone. Some of you may have given up on seeing another post. It all started innocently enough, we had house guests, and I thought I'd post some of the foodie reports after they were gone. By then, though, I was so hot and tired from the baby (did I tell you I was pregnant?), and just didn't want to sit at the computer that long.

So, bug me for recipes and techniques for:

  • Roasted Corn with Chile Butter

  • Lemon Blueberry Poundcake

  • Not Spice Cake Zucchini Bread




You can also ask about the wonderful grilled salmon meals we had, all the shortcakes we consumed, the three birthday meals we had and any other assorted things you think of to ask.

Meanwhile, I'll tell you what we ate for dinner Monday.

I took about 18 eggs, about two or three cups of leftover cheese sauce from the baked potatoes from Friday, basil from the garden, minced, and mixed it all up. Greased a 15" X 11" pan, dumped in the egg stuff, chopped up a head of broccoli and mixed that in, topped with shredded provolone, mozzarella and parmesan. Baked at 425 F for about 20-25 minutes. While that was cooking, I put in about two tablespoons of olive oil into a pan, heated it up, chopped up six stalks of celery and about six scallions, tossed those in the pan with a cup and a half of burghul, cooked a little bit, then added probably two cups of beef broth, some salt and lots of pepper. Brought to a boil, covered, reduced heat and cooked for about 15 minutes. Normally, I toast some pine nuts and throw it into the mix with the pilaf, but I didn't feel like it that night. This made enough for two days.

Our garden is doing quite well, though all we managed to get in this year were herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers and tomatillos. I have a crock of fermented pickles going, and we are enjoying eating the overgrown cucumbers, pear tomatoes and are starting to get the first of the large tomatoes and tomatillos.

That is probably the last real food news you will hear about for a while, since I am going in to have the baby on Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home