Tales from the Kitchen

Kitchen table discussions with recipes and ideas for shopping on a budget, cooking for a family, meal planning.

My Photo
Name:

Happily married mother of eight, Arab-American knitwear designer who also dabbles in other crafts and loves to cook.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

How Many Things Can You Make with a Squash?

Well, it is squash season. I have made a roasted, onion and garlic stuffed, buttercup squash. I have two butternuts. One will become soup and the other will be sliced and sauteed in olive oil with garlic, red peppers, carrots and thyme. I passed up an opportunity to pick up a mini hubbard and a cheese squash at the farmers' market, which I regret. I may have to go back and get some. I'll probably pick up some cippolinis and beets as well. I love fall vegetables. We didn't grow any veggies this year, not even tomatoes, so we will be spending the fall preparing the yard for a garden next spring. I wish we had grown our sugar pumpkins and tomatoes at least.

So, what are your favorite squashes and how do you eat them? Leave a comment to tell me.

My favorites are the winter squash. I really only like the yellow crookneck and zucchini tyoe summer squash (we will be growing a kousa type in the spring). Patty pan squash and I don't get along, and I don't believe I've tried cocozelle. I adore pumpkin type squash, rouge vif d'etamps, small sugar, and butternut squash of any kind, buttercups, cheese, delicata, hubbards, sweet dumpling. I can take or leave acorn squash, they're alright, but I likely won't grow any. Ditto for spaghetti squash.

Our menus this week have been lovely. Sunday we had grilled pizzas with a nice salad, we had our neighbors over for dinner. Monday, we ate leftovers, because I wasn't feeling all that well. Last night we had a kind of cross between a chicken pot pie and chicken and dumplings with dill biscuits cut out and baked on top of the chicken filling. Tonight is the butternut squash soup and a salad with more of those herbed biscuits. Tomorrow is brisket with carrots, onions, peas and potato pancakes. Friday is homemade mac and cheese with some fruit and a salad. Saturday, chili and cornbread. Sunday a pizza party for Alexander's birthday party. More details to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home